Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday August 5th, Gig at the Silver Bullet Dining Facility and Army Camp Virginia

Today we had two gigs.  Our first was an acoustic set at the Silver Bullet dining facility.  It was a short job, but it went well.

Our second job of the day was at the Army Camp Virginia, which is a short drive off base.  We had to have an security escort, but there was little to report during our trip other than the fact we are in a huge wasteland they call a desert.  I really can’t understand how people live here year round.

This gig went really well all way around.  Sound was more connected and everyone that wants a monitor gets one.  I am running as many monitors as mains, and I have just about everything you can think off coming out of them.  Go figure.  Anyhow, audience participation was once again very good.  We had an Army PFC come up and play drums for a the 70’s tunes.  He did great.  Also we had another guy singing some of the Marly and Play that Funky music.  Jodi and Jamie once again engaged the crowd in an awesome way.  My sax playing left much to be desired, however everything became so loud it almost didn’t matter.  Major Miller is really slinging out the solos on High Times.  I really need to turn up my mic to compete with the high trumpet playing.  Or I could just turn his off…… I am the sound guy.  The horns had it nailed down much better tonight.  Good job Tony, Justin, and Major.

DSCN1193

The stage we played on.  It was good area to play on.

DSCN1196

Our dressing room.  It had ac and a fully stocked cooler- water and gatorade of course.  The Army definitely took care of us well.

DSCN1200

Me working the magic at the sound boards.  I use to Mackie CFX12 channels linked together.  It is a kick ass set-up if I don’t say so myself.

 DSCN1204

Artistic mic shot with Tony in the backround.  I have a lot of these

.DSCN1216

Kevin working with the Army PFC Shirley.  This guy did a great job playing the drums with us.

 

DSCN1228

Jodi singing with a Specialist from the Army.

 

 

DSCN1230

Our certificate for playing.  The Army is great at cranking these things out, and actually, this is an occasion where it is nice to get something to recognize what we did. 

DSCN1191

Mickey D’s in Arabic.

DSCN1188

This is at the Silver Bullet D-Fac.  We are standing with a couple of the nationals that wanted to have their picture taken with us. Pretty neat.

DSCN1170

Playing the acoustic version of Use Me.  Pat, Kevin, Jamie, myself and Adam on the end playing the cajon.

DSCN1177

A little harp playing for the lunch crowd.  Can’t have enough harp.

While at the Army camp I did a little shopping at the Aafes concession, where I haggled down with the locals.  That was fun.  I can’t give great detail, because my wife does read this blog from time to time.  I probably still got royally screwed.  I played the ole I’m going to walk away and the guy dropped the price- I bit on the first time.  Anyhow it made me feel as if I was haggling. 

Well, its good to be working.  If you have notice the blog has a more positive spin to it.  It really doesn’t matter how many people we play for as long as we connect.  For some it really makes their day, and that’s the least we can do while we are over here.  The tour should be longer and we should be put to work harder, but it is what it is. More to follow.  Thanks for reading.  James OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment