These are pictures of our stay in Afghanistan.
This is the inside of the tent the guys stayed in. What you can’t see is all the junk strewn everywhere around the edges and under the beds.
Our pallet of gear outside the learning center tree. This is where we met up. Someone said it was a mulberry tree. There isKevin K. looking as intelligent as ever. It was nice to see an actual tree.
Wednesday, August 11, Gig at the PX. We also had a gig at the Hospital this day but there were no pictures.
Justin pulling up his pants, and the Major.
Same gig different view. We were basically in a strip mall type of deal- well third world style though.
Kevin M. with the maracas.
Unloading the truck. Probably should have put this first.
Morning of Thursday, August 12, we got a tour of the old Russian Air Tower on the base. This was great, because it gave us an awesome view of the whole base. Our Poc, Chewie, set it up for us. Not everyone gets to go there because it’s kind of a semi-restricted area.
Climbing the steep stairs to the top.
Looks like Pat just coming out the into the top of the tower.
Cool view of the stairs.
I am not sure what these are, but their knives, so they were worth a photo.
View from the top of the Camp. The second tent up is the one the males stayed in. It looks a lot nicer from here. It was called Napa Valley. More like Crappa Valley.
Some of the more permanent housing. I bet they get wireless. These are all constructed of conex containers linked together.
Our Poc, Chewie, in the top of the tower, telling us gruesome stories of what the Aghans did to the Russians when they overran them at the base.
See the tree line? That’s the outer perimeter and on the other side is real Afghanistan. Not so far, eh? Those are mountains in the back. Very hazy.
A Mosque in the distance I was able to zoom up on.
All of us in the tower.
Justin climbing back down.
Our first gig on Thursday was at the Chow Hall, otherwise known as the Dragon Dining Facility.
Pat on bass, and Adam on cajon.
Me playing harmonica on Long Train Running again.
Pat intently playing his bass.
I’m singing and Tony is looking at me like, what is he doing?
The whole group.
Tony doing some James Taylor.
Jodi and Jamie singing Bob Marley.
As I put in my other post, this was a good gig. That place really fills up, and we got a good response from the diners. We also ate lunch right after, which saved us a whole trip to the D-Fac.
Next was gig on the other side of the base, for some Army Troops by a PX. To get there was about a 30 minute drive, where we got to see more of the area
This is the old Russian hangar where really bad things happened to the Russians when the Afghans made it in. Or so they say.
Some random artillery piece.
Old Russian bunkers- top and bottom pictures. The whole outlying area is covered in old land mines. Not a very safe place.
Land mine field. See that little red sign, it says mines.
More land mine area.
Did I say there are big mountains here. Yeah, they are huge and basically circle Bagram entirely. Normally you would want the high ground, but what do I know. I guess it would be hard to land a plane up there.
At the gig. Justin playing some funky riffs on Play That Funky Music.
Jamie singing, and Klepacki playing, what is that? Oh yeah, that’s my guitar, which he had to play because he broke yet another string on his electric. This was after he told me that I didn’t need to bring my guitar to the gig. Silly boy.
Gig sight was pretty tight. Good crowd though. They hung out on those picnic tables with roofs.
Jamie and Pat. Behind them is the area where the audience sat.
Jamie and Jodi singing with an Army guy from the audience.
A contractor who sat in on keys. He did a great job- lots of notes
Major Miller and Tony. Look at the dark sky. We ended this gig a little early due to lightning, and it actually rained later. I didn’t expect to see rain until I got home.
I know this was a longish post, that basically recapped our last couple days, but I did want to get some photos up. That is all.
James
No comments:
Post a Comment